Together with his fellow townsmen Luigi Mochi and Giulio Bernardini, a renowned architect, Carlo Stiavelli succeeded in opening a small museum in September 1894 in a number of rooms owned by the Cassa di Risparmio bank in Palazzo Magnani, facing Palazzo Galeotti. In April 1898, the collection, which had quickly grown, was moved to the more spacious Palazzo Galeotti at the suggestion of Carlo Stiavelli.
it suffered during World War II. After being closed for many years for safety reasons, the Museum was inaugurated on November 14, 2020 in the midst of the pandemic, partly to convey a message of a return to normal life. Its original nucleus – the monumental apartment – was recently reopened to the public.
The entire room on the main floor thus underwent an effective restoration carried out under the supervision of the Florentine Superintendence, with the relocating of the most significant works: all the Uffizi paintings in the collections from the early 20th century, as well as paintings connecting the Civic Museum with the Pescia area.